Options and Opportunities
No matter how solid your plans are, there’s always room for exploration
- Tips from the Internship and Career Center
- FRESHMEN: Career Discovery Groups
Even if you have your heart set on vet school, this course teaches a lot of general career skills, or even specializations within careers—there’s more to a veterinary career than getting a DVM! It also doesn’t hurt to know what other jobs are out there. Even if you don’t change career paths, you will need to work with people from all walks to achieve personal success.
- Explore careers
- Yolo County Coroner
- California Department of Fish and Wildlife
- USDA Forest Service
- USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS)
- US DOI Bureau of Land Management (BLM)
- US DOI Fish and Wildlife Service
Schools of veterinary medicine, other health professions
- The Animal Biology major was originally designed with pre-professional students—especially pre-vet students—in mind. The core course requirements from calculus to metabolism and the research practicum all help students become academically and mentally prepared for the schooling required to become a health professional.
- Pre-Veterinary Resources
- http://veterinary-schools.startclass.com/ (To see admitted average GPA, on the “Sorted by” dropdown, select “Avg. GPA Admitted”)
- http://medical-schools.startclass.com/ (To see incoming typical GPA, on the “Sorted by” dropdown, select “Median Incoming GPA”)
- The Animal Biology major coursework and research practicum requirement helps prepare students for graduate study and research in most fields under the umbrella of biology. Specific course requirements vary by graduate program.
- Certified Applied Animal Behaviorists
Teaching in the sciences
- One option that students may overlook is a career in education. Many college and university students who major in mathematics and sciences look towards careers in academia/research or the private sector, leaving many K – 12 teaching positions to be filled by teachers who simply don’t have the background. A degree in Animal Biology can make you a very competitive candidate for a science teaching position.
- Pre-Graduate/Professional Advising
- The Teacher Education-Credential/MA program
- Teach For America STEM
- The Association of Professional Dog Trainers, APDT